For early 2016, The Fringe Files presented science fiction parody Planet of the Zers, written by Michael Starr.
Four star fleet crew members beam down to an extinct planet for a standard away mission, but what happens when they lose contact with their mother ship? A mission of discovery becomes a battle to survive. Join us for this wacky Star Trek parody.
For this production, The Fringe Files welcomed newbies Brian Paterson (performer), Phoebe Mulcahy (performer), Craig Weaver (performer), Jon Attwood (performer), Charlotte Wright (performer) and Charlotte Watkin (tech) for their debut with us. Rhian Brimble (tech), Sarah Brady (props) and Robert Walker (photography) all returned, whilst founder Michael Starr (writer / producer) completed the line-up.
This ‘small scale’ production brought about a scheduling change for The Fringe Files. For the first time, we presented a show during the Spring festival season. Additionally, The Fringe Files also returned to where it all began, back in 2011, at the Backwell Playhouse (Bristol), our original rehearsal and performance space for inaugural show The Curse of Miss Fortune.
Rehearsals ran from January 2016 to March 2016 at The Drawbridge (Bristol), Bishops Tavern (Bristol) and The Hope & Anchor (Bristol). Performance venues included the Backwell Playhouse, as part of the Avon One Act Drama Festival (February 27, 2016), Shaftesbury Arts Centre, as part of the Shaftesbury Drama Festival (March 5, 2016) & Norden Farm, as part of the Maidenhead Drama Festival (March 19, 2016). The Fringe Files were later invited to return to the Backwell Playhouse, as part of the Avon One Act Drama Festival recall (April 16, 2016), for this performance we changed one of the cast roles.
The following members were involved in this production:
- Michael Starr (Writer / Producer)
- Rhian Brimble (Light Tech)
- Charlotte Watkin (Sound Tech)
- Robert Walker (Photography)
- Sarah Brady (Performer / Props Master)
- Phoebe Mulcahy (Performer)
- Craig Weaver (Performer)
- Jon Attwood (Performer)
- Brian Paterson (Performer)
- Charlotte Wright (Performer)
We are proud to have received the following award acknowledgements:
- Best direction - The Fringe Files (won) at the Shaftesbury Drama Festival.
- Teamwork - The Fringe Files (won) at the Shaftesbury Drama Festival.
- Best actor - Jon Attwood (nominated) at the Shaftesbury Drama Festival.
- Best original play - Michael Starr (nominated) at the Avon Drama Festival.
- Best male actor - Craig Weaver (won) at the Avon Drama Festival.
- Best sound - Charlotte Watkin (nominated) at the Avon Drama Festival.
- NDFA play writing - Michael Starr (nominated) at the Avon Drama Festival.
This script is now available to digitally download for free. Please do consider offering a token donation to the writer.